[cvsnt] cvs checkout: cannot set time on ... :Permission denied

bins bins-- at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 16 21:11:45 GMT 2004

Please forgive me if this information can be found elsewhere - I googled but
couldn't find anything relevant to my configuration.

After creating a new module (about 3-4000 files, not all of them very big),
and with a cvs watch on the whole module so that that they co read-only and
all of the files add with -kb, whenever I checkout the files locally I get
the response

cvs checkout: cannot set time on [whatever.txt] : Permission denied

The cvs server is 2.051a and client 2.051d

Incidentally the reason we are not on a later version is that we use the
PushOK devstudio integration which currently only supports this version of
cvsnt - I think soon they'll be on 2.058 though...

Obviously one solution is to not co read-only. Our reason for this is that
we want to enforce exclusive locks on these files - many of them really are
unmergeable and having then read-only makes it quick for our tools to tell
if a file is edited or not - waiting to do parse the results of a cvs edit
on all the files would take too long (unless there is a quicker way ?)

We don't get this problem with source code by the way ...

Thanks
	Rob