[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt configuration on Linux server - help request

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Dec 17 19:45:24 GMT 2004

Dianne Chen wrote:
> Questions
> 1) In 1.3 of the wiki Linux docs, they talk about
> PServer configuration. My reading shows this to be a
> insecure method due to near plaintext of passwords.

Pserver is the name of the configuration file for CVS.  It's historical
since the original CVS server name was something like "pserver".  You
are correct in your assessment of the :pserver: protocol.

> 2) For section 1.4.1 of the wiki, running cvs with
> xinetd, does this get done if you do not desire to use
> pserver? Or do you do this and somehow specify "ext"?

You need this.  Probably already clear from the statement above, but
it's telling your system how to start the CVS Server service when
someone requests it.

> 3) Section 1.7, Permissions, appears to be where one
> changes the group of the cvs repository (maybe from
> root to cvs?), adds users, etc. Are there any pointers
> as to how this is done? What groups should be added,
> who should the owners be of the various components,
> etc. Also, what does impersonation refer to?

Depends a bit on if you allow users direct terminal access to the
server.  I'm not an expert on UNIX permissions, so hopefully someone
else will validate.  My setup (on my hobby server) is roughly:

--New user "cvs", new group "cvs-pers"
--All authorized CVS users in that group.
--Reposoitory set to rwxrws--- permissions with cvs / cvs-pers.

You'll want to validate that before using it anywhere important.

> 4) Is it necessary to sync up the time on the clients
> with the time on the Linux server? If so, is there a
> pointer on how that can happen?

I don't think it's an issue, but I have all my systems synched to an NTP
server anyway so they are all very close.

> I am thinking I will have more questions as soon as I
> learn more from the community. Again, I appreciate any
> help - and I would be happy to update the docs to give
> back.

If you want to add detail to the InstallationLinux page, you just need
only to create a wiki account and ask Tony for write access (he had to
disable public write due to persistant spammers).

--
Glen Starrett