[cvsnt] Re: cvs ACL clarifications

Rogier Eijkelhof rogier at shortcut.nl
Sat Dec 18 23:24:58 GMT 2004

At 21:36 18-12-04, you wrote:
>>Would they still be able to rtag though (not that it is much use if you
>>can't do anything else)?
>>Would this stop them from importing / add to that directory as well? I'd
>>guess that is what [no]create is for.
>
>Sure, but they wouldn't be able to see what they'd done :)
>
>Import to CVSROOT is an interesting one...  it wouldn't cause a rebuild of
>the control files and would just add a vendor branch which wouldn't affect
>the HEAD branch.
>
>>What does [no]control do?  Allow setting ACLs or more/different?
>
>Pretty much - it allows changing owner too.

Would it be hard to add an [no]visible right or something, which would
prevent uses from even just seeing a file or dir? So that if they checkout
or update the repository, they won't even notice the existence of the files
or dirs on which they have no view access.

This would be very handy when for example different outsiders need to known
only about the part of the repository containing stuff they're related to
(i.e. projects/clientname/*.*)

Another question about ACLs: are they supposed to be set at the server or
by clients? (just wondering cause I have some trouble getting ACL to work
properly :)

Thanks a lot,
Rogier.