[cvsnt] Re: Major problems with CVSNT 2.0.58d

Hartmut Honisch Hartmut_Honisch at web.de
Wed Dec 22 12:43:43 GMT 2004

> Client side is where you really want this

I see - so it's a bug in 2.0.58d that is CVSNT modifies the ACLs of
repository files on the server because of CYGWIN being set to ntsec?

>...  It's not the default (and
> never has been) but being able to version Unix permissions is pretty
> important in a mixed environment.

My point is that it *unconsciously*  becomes the default if you've set
CYGWIN=ntsec without knowing it affects CVSNT.

It happened to me (and various other users). In my case, I was told to set
CYGWIN=ntsec when installing sshd on Cygwin. I had no idea that it would
affect CVSNT (which I hadn't even installed when I set up sshd).

Why do you want other users to fall into that trap as well? If you want ntea
to be the default for CVSNT (unless a user explicitly chooses ntsec), CVSNT
should only rely on the  CVSNT variable, no matter what is set in CYGWIN. I
don't understand the problem with that approach, and the change to the CVSNT
source code is trivial.

-Hartmut