[cvsnt] Re: Performance problems

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Dec 26 08:49:47 GMT 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:18:08 +0200, Nitzan Shaked
<calius at netvision.net.il> wrote:

>> --Is there Anti-Virus software running on the server that is real-time
>> scanning the CVS repository and/or CVS temp directories?
>NAV is running. I'll try to disable scanning of ,v files or the entire
>repository altogether and see what happens. Again -- to the system guys
>so it'll be a while :-)

As you have noted CVSNT is *very* disk intensive. All operations
involve a lot of disk writes and renames in order to protect the
integrity of the repository. If AV software interferes with these
writes then you will potentially have a situation where the system may
even corrupt files.
Since ,v files are not really prone to viruses the whole repository
tree should be excluded from AV scanning.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)