[cvsnt] Re: Performance problems

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Dec 26 23:43:08 GMT 2004

Nitzan Shaked wrote:
> Things are much better now!

Glad to hear it.

> As for RAM -- an order for a new server is on the way. Dual-Xeon with 2GB
> RAM. Can anyone comment on what their server configuration is and what size
> of projects and groups it serves?

I have a small "hobby" server, 2GHZ, 1G RAM, running Linux that updates
within seconds, but the timings are greatly dependent on other factors
such as number of files, if you're updating to the HEAD version or a
branch / tag, the size of the files, etc. etc.

> Finally... the killer issue: Anti-Virus. Killing NAV did the trick, and from
> Bo's explanation I can understand why. I am down to 3min for "update" on the
> whole tree (from 10-15min before).

You should be able to set NAV up to exclude certain directories from
it's scanning, which is a very effective way of stopping that.  I had
our system guys do it then verified with the EICAR test (a non-virus
that all AV products see the signature of as a virus for testing) --
good thing I did too because they didn't get it right the first time :)

> Would you say 3min is something good, or is there room for more improvement?
> What else is worth checking, while I'm in the mood? :-)

Compared to the original time, I'd say it's good.  Again, there are a
lot of factors to consider.

> Thanks again to Glen and Bo, and merry Xmas.

Likewise, and a Happy New Year to you.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett