[cvsnt] Performance problemsnitzans

jml at nykredit.dk jml at nykredit.dk
Tue Dec 28 11:52:35 GMT 2004

I recently tried to upgrade from CVSNT 2.0.4 to 2.0.58d, and I experienced
a servere performance degrade in certain situations: if I did a checkout
of a tag, that was for some reason not present in the val-tags file, CVSNT
would scan the entire repository (not only the relevant module) for files
matching the given tag-name, causing an immense amount of disc-access on
the server. Such a scan would take half an hour or so. Because of this
(intolerable) behaviour I reverted to 2.0.4!

You say you make an update of the whole repository - why is that - one
would usually do an update on a per module basis?

Regards
Joergen

Nitzan Shaked <calius at netvision.net.il>
Sendt af: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org
25-12-2004 14:50

Til
cc

Emne
[cvsnt] Performance problemsnitzans

(Apologies if this is not the right place to ask -- I cannot seem to
find a CVSNT mailing list).

I'm using CVSNT 2.0.34 and (almost) the recent WinCVS. I am managing
a repository with some 11000 C files. My users connect using pserver
on a 100Mb LAN.

It's taking *forever* to do an update on the whole repository. When
I say "forever" I mean it takes ~5-7 minutes for the client to start
printing anything (those lines beginning with "? file1.o" and "?
file2.o" etc), and then some 10-15 minutes to go over the whole
repository.

During that time I see that the server has 100% disk activity. One
more curious point is that 100% disk activity continues for ~15
minutes after that update operation completes!

Are those times normal? What can be done to increase the speed --
the situation as it is now is driving my 30 developers crazy.

tia,
Nitzan