[cvsnt] Re: Force conflict

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Dec 28 14:08:44 GMT 2004

Oliver Giesen wrote:

> Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> There is, however, a slight problem here:
>> If a developer has a number of changes in his files that he has
>> tested and is now ready to commit them he must first do a cvs update
>> to make sure his files are revision wise at the top of the tree.

>> It would be nice to have a possibility to undo a cvs update thus
>> bringing back the file states to what they were in just before the
>> update when they contained only the developer's own edits on top of
>> the revision he started out with.

> That should be a relatively easy task for a WinCvs macro. Something
> like "Undo merge"...

> Do you think that would be useful?

I think more useful would be a tool that:

1- Shows a list of all files that have a higher revision in the repository
than in the sandbox without actually touching the sandbox, and

2- Provides an easy way to diff the current HEAD revision with the server
version of the revision that's currently in the sandbox (not with the
modified sandbox file!).

This would allow a review of all repository changes before actually running
the update/merge/commit cycle.

I usually do that using different sandboxes:
- one that has the same revisions I'm working on, but unaltered,
- one that has the HEAD revisions (or the tip of the branch I need to
commit to), and
- my working sandbox with the files I want to commit.

Then I use three-way comparisons to check the files before actually going
through the update/merge/commit cycle on my sandbox (and of course also
during the cycle, when in doubt about merge questions).

Gerhard