[cvsnt] Re: Active Directory Authentication

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Dec 30 00:36:22 GMT 2004

Johnson, Mark wrote:
> I am installing CVSNT (2.0.58d) on a Linux server (RHEL 3.0), and trying
> to determine the best authentication method.  All our clients will be
> using Windows 2K or XP, and we are using Active Directory for our
> windows network.  Can I set up CVSNT to use this?  (or is that more a
> function of configuring the Linux box to use the active directory
> authentication first, then cvsnt will do it by default).  Will this
> allow me to restrict shell access to the repository while still allowing
> cvs client access from remote workstations?  Which authentication method
> is required to use active directory?  Does anyone know where to point me
> for how to set this up.  I have checked the archives, and have found
> very little.

cvsnt will use the PAM settings for cvs, so provided you have an
/etc/pam.d/cvs file which authenticates with the active directory then
it'll work.

For gserver you'll need to setup the /etc/krb5.config and
/etc/krb5.keytab appropriately - this is more a Linux configuration
problem than a cvsnt one.

If you have samba and winbind setup to authenticate tot the active
directory the sspi protocol use winbind to authenticate user.