[cvsnt] Re: Will the RCS file shrink if revisions are deleted??

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Feb 9 20:34:54 GMT 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:
> This is about a binary file (application exe) that has grown to be
> very big (212 Mb) and we think that its size is limiting CVSNT
> performance.
> So we discussed what would happen if we delete a number of revisions
> from this file. Will it actually shrink or will there just be markers
> inserted into the RCS file that mark certain revisions as deleted?
> We really want the file to get *smaller* so it will not impact CVS
> performance...
> We have several hundred revisions in the file and only a small number
> are actually tagged and therefore will be left.

If you delete (with admin -o) revisions it'll get smaller... make sure
that you really don't want those revisions though as you can't get them
back.

It'll not affect CVSNT performance unless you're checking out from
branches that were made a while ago.  CVSNT only reads the first part of
the file to checkout HEAD - it's just a copy operation from the first
revision.  If you're short of memory on the server it could have some
affect, though.