[cvsnt] fundamental cvs questions

Maneesh Khare mkhare at adeasolutions.com
Tue Feb 10 18:33:05 GMT 2004

I'm very new to CVS, and have a few questions....would really appreciate
if anyone could take sometime to answer them.  I'm sure this thread will
help newcomers like me:

1.	If I understand properly, CVSNT is a service running on SYSTEM,
and WinCVS, ViewCVS, etc. are frontends.  Then is it mandatory to have
CVSNT installed on SYSTEM to be able to use WinCVS?
2.	I want a setup in which the repository is located in one
geographical location, and can be accessed via the internet from other
locations.  Is this possible using a combination of
CVSNT/WinCVS/ViewCVS, etc?
3.	Is there a way to ensure that such an access to the central
repository is safe, i.e. over ssl?  By the way, what the heck is
'pserver'?
4.	Are there major issues relating to performance of CVS over the
internet (or even over a LAN)?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Maneesh