[cvsnt] Re: Lockserver on Loopback?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 14:32:34 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>I haven't used that since the Win95 days...  all modern machines have
>network cards on the motherboard anyway now (even laptops).
>
>Pulling the network cable out shouldn't be enough to need it.. perhaps
>removing the card comlpetely (unless the drivers are broken, I
>suppose).

I've read that in order to conserve memory (as if THAT is a real driving
concern at MS), they unload the drivers (or just protocols) if the
adapter isn't physically connected to a network.  I believe that only
affects XP, but it might Win2K also.

"It's a feature!"

Looks like this article might tell you how to disable it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q239/9/24.asp

and I saw this too, for more info:
http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/knowledgebase/systems/2067.jhtml

Certainly not a problem for CVSNT at any rate.

Regards,