[cvsnt] NetGetAnyDCName vs NetGetDCName

Chris Little cslittle at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 15:59:19 GMT 2004

in article 88j420pmv768eg2bpn1db2im6hes91d1p6 at 4ax.com, Tony Hoyle at
tmh at nodomain.org wrote on 2/5/04 9:13 AM:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:14:25 +0100, "Mathieu Veurman"
> <MVeurman at seagull.nl> wrote:
>
>> "As long as you have a trust relationship, it'll work."
>>
>> That's the problem. We have a trust relationship, but it doesn't work.
>>
> Install the resource kit and try:
>
> nltest /dctrust:<domain>
>
> ..which will verify the trust account.
>
> The documentation (and a quick search of google) definately confirms
> what I've seen to be true in the past - the correct way to resolve
> trust accounts is to call NetGetAnyDCName.
>
> With an Active Directory forest I should really be calling
> DsGetDCName, but that has issues for NT4.

I'm having the same problem as Mathieu in that people from other trusted
domains can't login using pserver.

We have an NT4 server PDC and our CVSNT server runs on a Windows 2000
server.

I tracked down nltest and ran it on the server.  If I do a

nltest /trusted_domains

It list all of the trusted domains but when I run

nltest /dctrust:<domain>

I get the error

NetGetAnyDCName failed: Status 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN

Are we getting this error because we're using a Windows 2000 server inside
an NT 4 domain setup and not active directory.

As an aside, people are able to connect using sppi when they are using
Windows clients.  People can access the file shares as well.

Chris