[cvsnt] Re: Lockserver on Loopback?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 11 16:29:18 GMT 2004

You did not try did you?
But this is a real pain, as soon as the laptop is removed from the
network it normally lives on both W2000 and XP unload the TCP/IP
stack and protocol. After this you are toast if you try to communicate
between two socket applications on the same PC for example.

You can look at the state by typing 'ipconfig /all' on a command prompt
and you will find no valid address anywhere.

I struggle against this all the time since I am often on the road and
I had to install the loopback adapter to stop the protocol drop from
happening (note that the first OS that did this is W2000, on NT4 there
is no such thing as a protocol unload).
With an active LA the TCP/IP protocol stays in place even if the real
network line is pulled out.

But the downside is the ill effects we have seen when there is actually
also a real NIC connected to a live LAN.
Then we see all kinds of random hangups in the network communication.

Because we had to make a standalone PC work in exhibition environments
we unwisely ghosted up the production image with the LA active and then
later we had to go on a troubleshooting visit to Texas only to find that
if we disabled LA all was fine.
Now the ghost image has the LA disabled of course.

/Bo