[cvsnt] sspi authentication bug?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sat Feb 21 21:27:22 GMT 2004

jon lennard wrote:

>The guest account is disabled.  I am new to the SSPI protocol -
>I just heard of it today.  Since this is a Microsoft proprietary
>protocol is there any way it is authenticating off of the
>VPN account?  I wouldn't think this is possible but
>with M$ you never know.

Agreed.  I'd say it depends on the type of VPN, and I don't know enough
about them to help you further down that path.  Suffice to say that if
you can do a "net view" against the server, then SSPI can connect and be
authenticated.  SSPI asks Windows to handle the authentication, so as
long as Win can work out some method it'll work.

Another possibility is if you've established a session with that server
through some file share or similar.  If you're communicating with the
server with a method that requires authentication (with some exceptions)
then you already have your credentials established and that's probably
what SSPI is using.

I'm curious as to the outcome.  If there is a bug I certainly want to
know about it.  Please keep us informed.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett

--(shameless plug)--