[cvsnt] CVS with LabView (binary) files

Stephan nospam at gmx.de
Wed Feb 25 16:08:42 GMT 2004

Thank you Marts, I see what you mean and will do these changes in my
cvswrapper file too.

I think the best way is to check the file out, edit it and check it in
again, right? A friend of mine wants to change the file direvtly on the
server, but I think that this is not a good way, am I right?

Stephan

ps: Sorry for my "SourceSafe" terminology. Things are named diferent in
CVS, but my brain does not finish the switch.... ;-)

Martin Cole schrieb:
> I'm sorry, I was in a hurry, and didn't make a clear email.
>
> There is a module in your repository that is setup by the server called "CVSROOT" if your check this out, you will find it populated with various files, one of them being "cvswrappers"
>
> cvswrappers is a plain text file that tells the server how to operate on specific file types. One of the options in here is the merge method used when you are trying to check in, and someone else has already checked in before you... Obviously if you merge labview vi's, they will fail badly, as it is a propriatory binary format. I added some lines to my cvswrappers file to tell the server to create a copy of the file during update, instead of merge (All standard stuff, not specific to my application).
>
> It may not be perfect, but it works for me, and properly :)
>
> Marts
>

> Here is a copy of my cvswrappers file:
>
> # This file affects handling of files based on their names.
> #
> # The -m option specifies whether CVS attempts to merge files.
> #
> # The -k option specifies keyword expansion (e.g. -kb for binary).
> #
> # Format of wrapper file ($CVSROOT/CVSROOT/cvswrappers or .cvswrappers)
> #
> #  wildcard [option value][option value]...
> #
> #  where option is one of
> #  -m  update methodology value: MERGE or COPY
> #  -k  expansion mode  value: b, o, kkv, &c
> #
> #  and value is a single-quote delimited value.
> # For example:
> #*.gif -k 'b'
>

> # Wrappers for labview binary files
> *.vi -m 'COPY'
> *.llb -m 'COPY'
> *.llx -m 'COPY'
> *.mnu -m 'COPY'
> *.ctl -m 'COPY'
> *.vit -m 'COPY'
> *.rtm -m 'COPY'
>

> # Wrapper for msaccess database files
> *.mdb -m 'COPY'
> *.mde -m 'COPY'
>
> # End of changes
>

> "Stephan" <nospam at gmx.de> wrote in message news:403C754B.8080504 at gmx.de...
>
>>Martin Cole schrieb:
>>

>>>I do Labview stuff all the time, and also a largeish binary type file of
>>>application data.
>>>
>>>cvsnt does not make a complete copy every time a commit is made, in our
>>>current version (2.0.14) a text diff is made, when I upgrade our server, it
>>>can be entered such that binary diffs are made.
>>>
>>>Either way you can certainly get a complete history of all your vi's
>>>
>>>One consideration I would suggest, you should edit the cvswrappers such that
>>>"*.vi" and "*.llb" are copied, not merged, otherwise it will corrupt in the
>>>case that you get into a merge situation (which should never happen if you
>>>select watch on).
>>>
>>>Marts

> [...]

change all before the at to "stephan.gerhards" for email.