[cvsnt] binary diff question.

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jan 6 00:09:22 GMT 2004

Martin Cole wrote:
> I am very exited by the binary diff work, looks really cool.
>
> My question is, once it is deemed stable for release, will it require the
> files added via -kB still, or will it become the defacto standard diff delta
> process, and accept the addition via -kb.

I might have a server switch to enable it as default, but there are good
reasons for keeping the old one around - it's quite good at text files
that are stored as binary (eg. some people store .vcproj files this
way), and things like annotate still work with it.

> The reason I ask, is that I have setup cvsnt on our server, and it is
> working very well, but our users are not at all familiar with cvs (or any
> version control software !! ) however they are happy with tortoisecvs doing
> the dirty work for them.

Give it a couple of months for the cvsnt versions to filter through to
the frontends and there'll probably be a way of enabling it in a
preferences dialog somewhere.

> Last question, if I add the folowing line to the cvswrappers file, will it
> override the tortoisecvs binary add command
>
> *.gif -k 'B'

Not if Tortoise sends a -kb to override it - If the wrappers are set up
I expect the standard add command would work, though I've not tried it
recently.