[cvsnt] Re: Feature request/bug related to "run_command()"

Alexander Schremmer usenet2003d at alexanderweb.de
Fri Jan 9 14:38:58 GMT 2004

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:23:11 +0000, Tony Hoyle wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:37:05 +0100, Alexander Schremmer
> <usenet2003d at alexanderweb.de> wrote:
>
> It doesn't on any platform I've used... unless you have your cmd.exe
> somehow set to always show a window. (There was a version I think that
> did that on some platforms but never pinned it down to a specific
> reason).

This is a normal Windows XP cmd.exe...

>>IMHO it should be possible to just launch the stored command directly on
>>both platforms. If somebody needs some cmd.exe internal commands, he can
>>still enhance the command line by "cmd.exe /c " in the administrative
>
> The way it works now is pretty much the best of both worlds.  You need
> cmd.exe for non-executable files like batch files and perl files,
> commands like 'echo', redirection, lots of stuff like that.

But that won't work on Win 9x,ME neither (at least the echo stuff) because
the code directly creates the process (without invoking command.com) and
echo is only an internal command. I. e. CVSNT behaves already untypical on
Win 9x,ME platforms. Would it be a problem to make a configuration option
out of this (just a small toggle that enables the launch of cmd.exe)?
Otherwise I'll compile my own binaries...

Kind regards,
Alexander