[cvsnt] Why is this a conflict?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Jan 16 16:52:37 GMT 2004

Jeff Urlwin wrote:

>Actually, I do (and I should be at the top ;).  Here's another examples:
>
>Error.msg.foo=There has been a severe application error
>Error.msg.bar=There has been an error processing your request.
>Field.LastName.tag=Last Name
>Field.FirstName.tag=First Name
>
>Now, developer 1 adds:
>Field.MiddleName.tag=Middle Name
>
>Developer two adds
>Field.Search.tag=Search
>
>They *both* should be in the file.

How about this example, a script this time:

 >>> Original File
CallSomethingMessy
cd tmp
cat output.txt | more
<<<

But this leaves you in a tmp directory.  Dev 1 appends this to leave
them in their home directory:

cd ~
<<<

The original also leaves the tmp directory full of intermediate and
output files.  Dev 2 appends this to clean up the directory:

rm -rf *
<<<

Each edit is fine on their own, but would YOU want to risk them getting
appended in the wrong order and NOT have the developer alerted to the
possible conflict?

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett