[cvsnt] Why is this a conflict?

Flávio Etrusco Flavio.Etrusco at atan.com.br
Fri Jan 16 19:36:53 GMT 2004

> How about this example, a script this time:
>
>  >>> Original File
> CallSomethingMessy
> cd tmp
> cat output.txt | more
> <<<
>
> But this leaves you in a tmp directory.  Dev 1 appends this to leave
> them in their home directory:
>  >>>
> cd ~
> <<<
>
> The original also leaves the tmp directory full of intermediate and
> output files.  Dev 2 appends this to clean up the directory:
>  >>>
> rm -rf *
> <<<
>
> Each edit is fine on their own, but would YOU want to risk
> them getting
> appended in the wrong order and NOT have the developer alerted to the
> possible conflict?

I agree this would be one more source of problems, but this kind of problem can easily occur without CVS detecting a conflict.
Say there was a comment or some logging (e.g. "echo Done.") after the "cat". If the first guy places "cd ~" before the logging and the second guy places it after, then it would merge cleanly. Ok, I know this was bit "forced", but I bet someone can think of better examples ;-)

So I wouldn't vote for changing this in the short term, but if someone decides to put together a release to check its "usability" I'm volunteer :)

Regards,
Flávio