[cvsnt] Re: How good or bad will cvs work with really big files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jan 20 21:27:08 GMT 2004

Björn Carlsson wrote:
> Like media files in the Gigabyte class?

TBH for files that big you don't want the overhead of a VCS handling
them...  it's going to take a while even to copy them over a network,
never mind processing them (you might get away with a fast box with 3GB
of RAM but a 100MB network will take between 5 and 15 minutes to
transfer them and the diff will probably take about 15 minutes on a fast
server box - 30 minutes just to checkout the file.. not worth it).

The largest I've stored in CVS was about 300MB and that was probably a
bad idea itself.. (that was about 5 minutes per checkout, which
seriously slowed everyone down - we didn't have per-file locking on that
server).