[cvsnt] CVSNT pserver using cvsd (Linux)

Tom Wilson t.wilson at hazid.com
Thu Jan 22 10:11:25 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I'm running a CVSNT pserver on a Linux machine (Slackware 8.1), which is accessed by Windows 2000 machines using WinCVS.  I 'upgraded' from standard CVS to CVSNT because I wanted to use the lock server.

if I run CVSNT as a normal inetd pserver it works fine, except that there is a 30-60 sec delay before commands are executed which is annoying if you just want to do something to one file.

I don't think it's the lock server causing the delay, because plain CVS had a delay before i ran it using 'cvsd' (http://tiefighter.et.tudelft.nl/~arthur/cvsd/).  After using cvsd for some reason CVS processed commands almost instantly.

Now, however I am unable to use cvsd with CVSNT, I get the following error when I try to login usng cvsd and CVSNT; 'cvs [server aborted]: bad auth protocol start: BEGIN AUTH REQUEST'

I assume that CVSNT is backward compatible with CVS, so I don't understand why this doesn't work.

Thanks for any help.

- Tom