[cvsnt] file system permission difference between sspi and sserver protocols?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Jul 2 15:56:45 BST 2004

Hi,

I have a problem with the sserver protocol. So far I've been using sspi,
and it works without a problem. But when I try to run sserver, it seems
that my file permissions that work fine for sspi don't work for sserver:

e:\test>cvs info
Available protocols:

sserver             sserver 2.0.34
sspi                sspi 2.0.34

e:\test>cvs -d :sspi:user at server:/projects checkout Test/Source
cvs server: Updating Test/Source
U Test/Source/0index.txt

e:\test>cvs -tttt -d :sserver:user at server:/projects login
  -> Tracelevel set to 4.  PID is 1188
  -> Session ID is 4a440e567890000
  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sserver:user at server:/projects
Logging in to :sserver:user at server:2401:/projects
CVS password: *******

e:\test>cvs -tttt -d :sserver:user at server:/projects checkout Test/Source
  -> Tracelevel set to 4.  PID is 1576
  -> Session ID is 62840e567990000
  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sserver:user at server:/projects
  -> Encryption enabled
  -> Requesting server cvsignore
cvs [server aborted]: Cannot access
E:/Data/CVS/repositories/projects/CVSROOT: Permission denied

After I enabled traverse permissions for my cvs user group in the
repositories and projects directories, it got a bit further (note that I
don't need these permissions when I'm using sspi):

e:\test>cvs -tttt -d :sserver:user at server:/projects checkout Test/Source
  -> Tracelevel set to 4.  PID is 1620
  -> Session ID is 65440e573530000
  -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sserver:user at server:/projects
  -> Encryption enabled
  -> Requesting server cvsignore
  -> Requesting server cvswrappers
  -> Requesting server cvsrc (read-cvsrc2)
  -> Parsing global cvsrc started
  -> Parsing global cvsrc finished
S -> do_module(Test/Source, Updating, , )
cvs server: cannot find module `Test/Source' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

This seems to indicate that there is a difference WRT the file permissions
that need to be set, depending on what protocol is being used. Can anybody
help me out here? Any ideas what might be different with sserver, what I
need to enable that's not necessary with sspi?

(In case it matters: this is a client running on the same system as the
server.)

Thanks,
Gerhard