[cvsnt] Re: Problem listing modules on NT4 Server

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Sat Jul 3 01:00:46 BST 2004

> I'm confused. I thought CVSNT was the port of (GNU) CVS to windows.

That's only what it started out to be. By now it has turned into a product
of its own right. For a list of features that are in CVSNT but not in GNU
CVS see here: http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsntAdvantages .
BTW: CVSNT by now also runs on *ix again.

> Is there
> GNU CVS client and server (whose most recent version is 1.11.6) that run
on
> Windows that is largely redundant with CVSNT 2.0.46?

Depends on your definition of "redundant". CVSNT is largely downwards
compatible to GNU CVS if that's what you mean.

> I have a very recent
> download of cygwin and "cvs -v" indicates that both the client and server
> are 1.11.6.

You probably mean 1.11.16 . 1.11.6 would be pretty old...

> If so, I'm curious: how do I start this GNU CVS server that is distributed
> with cygwin?

I don't know for sure as I've never used it myself but I think Cygwin only
ships with a CVS client, not a server.

> Maybe my problem was that I was using the GNU cvs client to talk to the
> CVSNT server and maybe that is a bad combination.

It usually works. You simply picked one of the CVSNT-specific commands to
try it which obviously couldn't work. As long as you stick to the commands
that are supported by GNU CVS you should have no problems using a CVSNT
client against it.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver