[cvsnt] Wildcards possible in checkout/export

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Jul 6 09:41:27 BST 2004

I am managing a lot of scripted operations on the CVSNT server for building
our setups. In these scripts I use cvs export a lot to get the files out from
CVSNT ready to be included into the setup.

I have a slight problem that would be helped if a wildcard specification was
possible in the commands like:
cvs export -r HEAD -d DestDir Module/Submodule/supp3-*.cnf

The reason is that we amass a lot of release dependent files in CVS where
the file names indicate the software they apply to. When building new setups
I don't want to include all of these files, I'd rather like to specify the
major version number and get *all* files for that version. So a wildcard would
be advantageous in this case as shown above.
In our case the setup script will have to be updated only when we switch to the
next major release, until then all files that are pertinent to the current
release would get automatically extracted.
Right now I have to do this ugly construct:

cvs export -r HEAD -d DestDir/Cnf Module/Submodule
del /Q DestDir/Cnf/supp0-*.cnf
del /Q DestDir/Cnf/supp1-*.cnf
del /Q DestDir/Cnf/supp2-*.cnf

which first exports all files (about a 100 or so) and then deletes the
majority of them leaving only 4-5 files to be included in the setup.

Is what I want at all possible with CVS?
If not, could it be added as a new feature?

Best regards,

Bo Berglund