[cvsnt] problem converting binary file to unicode

Iakov Glubokiy iglubokiy at infotecs.ru
Wed Jul 7 15:12:48 BST 2004

We have just moved to cvsnt from traditional cvs and have met a weird
problem trying to change subst mode from -kb to -ku.

Assume our unicode.xsl constains text in UTF-16 and stored at server
as binary.

1. Change subst mode

copy unicode.xsl unicode.bak
cvs admin -ku unicode.xsl
cvs up unicode.xsl

File become double-sized and corrupted. Apparently, that's ok since server
considers it is UTF-8.

2. Trying to commit correct file
copy unicode.bak unicode.xsl
cvs ci -m"correcting contents after admin -ku" unicode.xsl

commit completes correct, telling us that new revision is created.
But that revision is exactly as previous and file in sandbox becomes double-sized and corrupted again!

cvs up -kb -P

brings us original UTF-16 file, as expected.

3. We managed to correct file contents only by commiting original but
slightly changed file. Though, it was not 100% remedy - sometimes
(at some files) it required two such commits to make all right.

NB: Trying to reproduce this situation on cvsnt server, I got it all
ok. Apparently, it only happens when file was initially added at
traditional cvs.

So, the question is: are we do something wrong? If not, is there more
straight way to correctly convert binary files to unicode?

CVSNT ver 2.0.41a at server (Linux) and client (Win2K).

Thanks in advance,
Iakov.