[cvsnt] sserver

David Somers dsomers at trevezel.com
Thu Jul 8 21:48:24 BST 2004

Hello,

After some gnawing of teeth and pulling out of hair, I've managed to
generate a new SSL certificate and get it working with cvsnt.

Observation: if the cvsnt server is configured for encryption to be
required, I'm seeing that I can login successullly using the pserver access
method, but when I try to do anything I get the 'This server requires an
encrypted connection' error.  Wouldn't it make more sense to return this
error at the login stage rather than later on...

Question: When connecting to a server and authenticating the certificate, is
it possible to somehow at the client end see some details of the server's
certificate? I'm thinking I'd somehow be able to do something like issue a
command like "cvs whoisthesever" and be given a dump of some of the elements
in the cert (such as the CN, and who the CA is - or perhaps this should
happen if specifying the -t option?).

Question: is it possible to do mutual authentication using sserver/sspi?

Enhancement: It would be quite handy is cvsnt would check for CA
certificates not only in the ca.pem file, but also in the Windows
certificate store.

Enhancement: I would like to be able to set up my cvsnt server so that the
encryption/compression settings could be done on a per repository basis,
instead of a global basis. This would therefore allow anonymous access (over
pserver) to some of the repositories whilst the others could be
appropriately secured (using sspi or sserver).

Greetings from Luxembourg,

David.