[cvsnt] Re: CVS v. CVSNT: which is best for me?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Sat Jul 10 01:45:24 BST 2004

https://ccvs.cvshome.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=83&expandFold
> er=83&folderID=80 and discover that CVS runs under windows. Hmmm... Is
this
> CVS different from CVSNT?

Yes, it is. To make your confusion complete, CVSNT runs on *ix, too (both
client and server)... ;)

CVSNT started out as a port of the original CVS server to Windows which was
at that time only available on *ix. By now it has evolved far beyond that,
aiming to be a better CVS altogether (eventually even porting back all those
enhancements to *ix) and in the meantime the original CVS has also been
ported to Windows...

> Bo kindly referred me to his documentation on CVSNT and I have not had a
> chance to study it yet. Is his documentation the only comparison between
CVS
> for windows and CVSNT? Judging from the version numbers, it is.

I don't know which document you are referring to here. I recommend:
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsntAdvantages .

> I'm wondering which I should be running: CVS or CVSNT? How do I determine
> which one is best for me?

If the advantages listed on the above link don't mean anything to you just
try them both. CVSNT progresses at a real fast pace, adding new stuff
requested by users and correcting old bugs all the time with development
builds being released almost daily during the hot phases preceding the
declaration of a stable release while still maintaining an incredible amount
of stability all along. Cvshome.org's CVS traditionally values stability
over everything else seemingly following the "never touch a running system"
approach. It was only during the last few months that a bit of movement has
returned to the CVS development. Until then there were only ever bugfix
releases every few months and nothing significant else for several years
(maybe because many of the original CVS developers have since wandered off
to Subversion - there appears to be some new blood now though).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
------