[cvsnt] CVS v. CVSNT: which is best for me?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 17:20:15 BST 2004

Carl Zmola wrote:

> Siegfried,
>
> Everyone else seems to be giving you good information, but it doesn't
> help you choose.
>
> For most cases you will be better off with CVSNT on windows.
>
> 1) CVSNT is both a client and a server.  If you plan on running
> everything on a windows network, CVSNT is the way to go for both parts.

Actually, CVSNT works very well on *nix as well.  IMHO, CVSNT is the
superior option in both worlds[1].  The notable exception is Eclipse /
WebSphere's explicit dislike for CVSNT which for some reason was
hard-coded into it.

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationLinux

[1] It really comes down to what you're looking for:  CVS has been
stable, unchanging for a long time.  CVSNT is under active development
and has added a number of new features.  If you want something that's
proven stable, you can use CVS.  CVSNT is tested very well but obviously
when new features are added they can sometimes be unstable for a bit.

> 2) the CVSNT client works fine against a CVS server.  I use my cvsnt
> client to connect to a CVS server that is provided by my web hosting
> provider.  So even if you are using a CVS server on linux, you still
> probably want a cvsNT client on windows.
>
> 3) there may be some weird cases where you don't have control over the
> users machine and they need (want) to run a plain cvs client.  You might
> not be able to use the CVSNT server (but I am sure someone will correct
> me if I am wrong).

You can, actually.  That "plain" CVS client just won't be able to take
advantage of some of the features that the CVSNT server has to offer.

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsntAdvantages

> 4) The only reason I can really think of  using a CVS (not cvsnt) server
> on windows is that you are already using cvs on unix and you just want
> to move the repository over to a windows box.

Not necessary:  You can copy over your CVS repository to a CVSNT
installation (or upgrade it directly on the *nix box).  Here are some
notes if you are interested in moving from *nix CVS to Win32 CVSNT:

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/MoveFromLinux

...but of course if you have a *nix box, you can upgrade to CVSNT and
use the old CVS repository too.

--
Glen Starrett