[cvsnt] Re: cvs problem

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 17:56:33 BST 2004

Shihab K B wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with cvs now. I created a branch
> Named Version_2_2. I can check out the project with
> this branch name. But when I am trying to add a new
> file from some sudirectories its giving the error "cvs
> server: cannot add file on non-branch tag". In these
> directories CVS/Tag file containg NVersion_2_2. But I
> can add files from some other subdirectories. I maild
> to lots of mailing lists. I got reply that after
> creating the branch Version_2_2, somebody may create a
> revision with same name. But in a sample repository I
> done the same senario. Some times it happening the
> problem, some time it does not happening the problem.

Try to find the files that are tagged with the normal tag Version_2_2
and remove those plain tags (if necessary add the branch tag, in case
they didn't get the branch tag previously).  Then do a "cvs up -Ar
Version_2_2" on that folder you're having trouble with.  Use "cvs status
-v filename" to check which tags are on a particular file.

--
Glen Starrett