[cvsnt] Re: scripts loosing execute permissions

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 21:15:44 BST 2004

Lehman, Curtis wrote:
>>The old CVS used to store the executable flag on the file itself.  NT
>>has no such flag, so it loses all that information - this is
>>unfortunately unavoidable.
>>
>>If you set the flag under Linux and commit a new revision CVSNT stores
>>this information in the RCS file so it'll keep it (at least until
>>someone commits from an NT machine).
>

> Could some please help clarify the last two paragraphs of this thread. I am
> also trying
> to commit shell scripts that are executable from a Linux system onto CVSNT.
> I tried
> changing the permissions on the file to include executable and then
> committed the file.
> Not only did it not retain the settings on the server, the local copy lost
> the setting. Is
> this normal? Is there any way around this?

This might be a side effect of preventing null-delta commits.  I assume
here that you didn't get a message from CVS indicating the new revision
number, right?

Try doing that again with "cvs ci -f" instead, to force it to commit the
file.  I'm not certain of the effect of that flag since I've never used it.

If that doesn't cause the file to be committed, try making a minor
change to the file and marking it +x again, then committing.

Also note that if you checkout and commit that file from a Win32
platform, it will loose the execute flag again (if I understand the
previous conversations).

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett