[cvsnt] Re: How do I add a single file?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Thu Jul 15 07:35:28 BST 2004

Ah hah!

Here is what I have done:
(1) I edited my system path variable and moved c:\Program Files\cvsnt to the
beginning of the path variable (ahead of all the cygwin directories) and
rebooted. I don't know if this helped.

(2) I created a new test repository using the init command. This step is
documented in the chm file but it is extremely confusing! The documentation
gives the example of "cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init". When I saw that for
the first time, I assumed I was supposed to be using cygwin/bash and use
forward slashes. That is an extremely bad idea if the cygwin cvs client is
incompatible with the CVSNT server.  This time I specified cvs -d
c:\TESTCVSROOT init.  Previously I used the command cvs -d
/cygdrive/c/CONVEX init from the cygwin/bash prompt and it seemed to work.

(3) I use the service control panel to add the new repository. This time, I
take the default name making the name "/TESTCVSROOT" and the root
"C:/TESTCVSROOT". Previously, I made the name and the root identical because
I did not know what I was doing because I never saw the documentation on
this step. This step seems to be missing from the cvsnt chm help file.

(4) I create a temp directory and import 3 files. I then check these files
out.

(5) I used cvs -d :pserver:Siegfried at 192.168.0.8/TESTCVSROOT add
makefile.g77 and it worked! I used a commit and it worked. I edit a file,
save it and checkin worked! Hurray! This has been a brutal struggle!

Now, here is my question: can I salvage my original repository that I
created with the command "cvs -d /cygdrive/c/CONVEX init"? I've tried using
service control panel to change the repository name from C:/CONVEX to
/CONVEX.  Of course, at this time, I abandoned the /c//CONVEX syntax in
favor of the /CONVEX syntax. When this did not work either, I used the
service control panel to switch the name of my repository back again to
C:/CONVEX and tried to use the /C//CONVEX syntax.

I can sure think of a lot things that would improve that documentation in
the cvsnt chm file.

Thanks,
    Siegfried