[cvsnt] Re: "cvs diff -rHEAD" annoyance

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jul 15 15:27:12 BST 2004

On 15 Jul 2004 16:04:09 +0200, Johan Holmberg <holmberg at iar.se> wrote:

>One of the things I tried to point out, was that standard CVS *didn't*
>behave that way. I have tried the following constallations of
>clients/servers:

As I said, check google - it does.  They might have changed the
behaviour in the last couple of months but the current cvsnt behaviour
has been standard since at least 1999 and probably earlier.

>I don't know if I understood all of that disscussion, but weren't they
>talking about different branches, and the meaning of HEAD in that context ?
>My example was very simple with all revisions on the mainline.

They are saying that specifying HEAD with diff will enable different
behaviour to specifying HEAD in any other command.  In particular it
*will* select deleted files from the branch.  See the output of the
command in the thread - the error message you queried features and is
one of the points under discussion.