[cvsnt] Re: "cvs diff -rHEAD" annoyance

Johan Holmberg holmberg at iar.se
Thu Jul 15 17:26:15 BST 2004

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org> writes:

> >I don't know if I understood all of that disscussion, but weren't they
> >talking about different branches, and the meaning of HEAD in that context ?
> >My example was very simple with all revisions on the mainline.
> >
> They are saying that specifying HEAD with diff will enable different
> behaviour to specifying HEAD in any other command.  In particular it
> *will* select deleted files from the branch.  See the output of the
> command in the thread - the error message you queried features and is
> one of the points under discussion.

I just discovered that I can get the same behaviour with the following
command (I put the file 'foo.txt' in the "attic" about 6 hours ago):

    $ cvs diff -D '1 hour ago'
    cvs server: Diffing .
    cvs server: foo.txt no longer exists, no comparison available

Doesn't this show that we are talking about a slightly other
problem than the HEAD issue you referred to ?

/Johan Holmberg