[cvsnt] CVS v. CVSNT

Carl Zmola carl at membersonlysoftware.com
Tue Jul 20 15:52:55 BST 2004

Sigfried has had some problems installing CvsNt.
I think it is worth some of the problems that he has run into, since
they made what is usaully a painless installation a real problem.

1) Cygwin's CVS can potentially cause problems.  More importantly, not
knowing that you are running cygwin's cvs.exe instead of CVSNT's
cvs.exe  can be a real problem.

2) The installation documenation is not current or complete.  After you
get it going, it works very well, so those of us who use cvsnt regularly
don't have a reason to go back and clean up the  installation documentation.

I am giving a tutorial/workshop next moth for a local  Delphi users
group on how to install  CVSNT (and Tortoisecvs) because getting started
with CVS seems to be the hardest part.  Actually, getting the repository
up, security and cvsroot variables set is not trivial for new users.

More detailed comments below.

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

>Yeah, yeah, I know that now. --- oh wait! You are telling me I can specify
>the device with a colon. Is that in the documentation? I don't remember
>seeing it. I just remember the error messages from the cygwin client. I
>don't think you can specify a device name with a colon.

You can't use drive letters with the cygwin client.

On this note, I second the warning about cygwin.  I have run in to
troubles before.

I believe that there should be a noticable warning about the cygwin
client.  Not because cygwin's cvs is always a problem, but because using
cygwin's cvs without realizing it can be a problem.

<snip>

>I believe it makes sense to mention of few popular programs that conflict
>with CVSNT, especially the ones with "CVS" in their names! Now does cygwin
>qualify as being popular? I hope so, but I don't know so. I use it. I think
>we need an explanation of all the different CVS variants out there in the
>documentation so folks know that CVSNT is not the windows port of CVS. That
>is extremely confusing. And it is extremely important that one be aware that
>using CVS documentation with CVSNT must be done with caution. There are
>books on CVS but not CVSNT so it is tempting to try to use these books (and
>quick reference cards) with CVSNT.

Cygwin is popluar among people who are using CVS.   Also, many people
who are using Cygwin have no idea that it includes a cvs client.  I
didn't until I ran into trouble with it.

>Oh -- and another thing! Where does it define what a module is? C
>programmers usually refer to a module as a separately compiled (single)
>source code file with possibly multiple header files. I have inferred that
>CVS uses the word  module to refer to an entire directory of source code
>files. Is this true? Is this explained anywhere?

If you find a good explination, let me know.  I recently read a posting
that described it quite well,

In a different posting: Oliver Giesen wrote:

> Nikolai Onken wrote:
>
>> I hope this hasn't been asked too often already - I browsed the
>> archives.
>> What's the concept of Modules?
>

> Maybe this helps?
>
> http://people.freenet.de/ogiesen/WinCvsHelp/Glossary.html#Module
>
> It's just a draft and the links are non-functional but it should serve
> as a primer I think.
>
> Hope this helps.

-  Carl Zmola
-  Carl at MembersOnlySoftware.com