[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 41a >10 secs delay with Reverse DNS disabled - any ideas

Greg Smith greg at ced.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 18:04:40 BST 2004

>>We are using CVSNT 41a on our local NT2000 server with reverse DNS off.
>>We connect using sspi.
>>
>>Everything is fine except for one user (WinCVS and Tortoise CVS with
latest
>>versions), who is suffering a >10 seconds delay before every CVS
operation.
>>This user has Windows XP SP 1. We can see no obvious difference between
this
>>user and everyone else. Any suggestions as to the cause of the delay... it
>>cannot be the reverse DNS lookup effect (unless this switch no longer has
>>any effect).
>>
>If your windows 2000 server hasn't been updated recently you may be
>being hit with a known bug - see
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308512
>
>It's all due to your DNS being broken though... it's much easier to
>fix it than to try to workaround all the problems it casues :)
>
>Tony

Thanks for the suggestion, but we are using NT2000 SP4.
I can quite believe that our Reverse DNS lookup is broken, but there is no
delay for other workstations (using XP Pro SP1 and NT2000 SP4) and I thought
that the CVSNT server applet option to turn off reverse DNS lookup did just
that.
I would gladly get the Reverse DNS lookup fixed if I knew how. I have spent
the best part of a day trying to find out how to do this... hence my
bothering the list.
So, 2 questions:
1) Does disabling reverse DNS lookup eliminate a reverse DNS lookup problem?
2) If it does, what else could be going wrong?

Greg Smith