[cvsnt] No need to tag the entire repository and waste all that spacetime

Victor A. Wagner Jr. vawjr at rudbek.com
Sat Jul 24 04:51:58 BST 2004

Although I can think of no  real reason to tag the entire repository, it
seems to me that in addition to taking a fair amount of time, it's going to
add a fair amount of space to the repository.

It seems to me that the effect people would be looking for is to restore
some sandbox to the state of the entire repository at some unlikely time in
the future (or are there people who keep only _one_ project per repository?).

Since all a tag does is create a synonym (in _each_ file (the space part of
the spacetime mentioned in the subject)) for some (generally the current)
revision, it's clear that any process that's going to "mark" each file will
take significant time.

I suspect that administrators would really prefer a way to mark the
repository as it is "right now".

That being the case, why not simply record the date/time with the "name"
you want to give to the 'tag' someplace, and timestamp it.  Last I checked,
one could do checkouts and updates using a datetime as an argument.  Yes it
would be a two step process to "get" all the relevant files from the
repository, but the "tagging" would take the time of doing a commit on a
single file (if you put your "tag name" in the file before committing it.

Alternatively, in case you're _really, really_ in love with tags, you could
force some file to commit (using the -f option) then rtag _it_.  I'd
suggest using one of the files that exists in the CVSROOT if you're going
to do such a stunt (it likely is changeable only by admins already).

surely it would be rather easy to put together a small script that will do
either the "tagging" or the two steps necessary to update/checkout.

Victor A. Wagner Jr.      http://rudbek.com
               "There oughta be a law"