[cvsnt] Re: unable checkout file by tag

Iakov Glubokiy iglubokiy at infotecs.ru
Wed Jul 28 07:08:47 BST 2004

Hello Tony,

TH> Interestingly rtag updates this file and tag doesn't... not sure why
TH> (probably needs fixing).  This means that the first update after a tag
TH> may take a couple of seconds to find it (although this isn't normally
TH> much of an issue especially if you tagged the entire repository).

Nice shot! :) Simple test

cvs co -l main
cd main
cvs tag dummy_tag dummy.txt
cvs co -p -r dummy_tag main/dummy.txt

gives
cvs server: could not read RCS file for dummy.txt
cvs [server aborted]: no such tag dummy_tag

As I see by file access log, it scans _all_the_ files in repository
before creates new val-tags file (not till first containing tag). And
apparently doesn't add all found tags in val-tags, but only one needed
for checkout (remember, it behaves the same for each new tag, and each
tag becomes ok after checkout finally competes?)
Our repository contains about 50,000 files. No wonder now why
couple-of-files-chechout takes tens of minutes.

Pity I can't check now whether traditional cvs exposes the same
behaviour or not. Yesterday we shut it down to be sure it didn't
interfere with cvsnt, and our admin comes lately :)

Is there at least any way to rebuild val-tags fully, not tag by tag?

--
Best regards,
 Iakov                            mailto:iglubokiy at infotecs.ru