[cvsnt] Re: Blank lines and strange characters in text files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jul 30 16:55:02 BST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:49:00 -0600, "Jeff Harmon"
<jeffh at zionsbank.com> wrote:

>We have a problem where there are some text files that end up with blank
>lines (every other line) and strange block looking characters.  The
>files were committed using cygwin instead of cvsnt, but they are DOS
>formatted files.  When I open the file that was checked out using cvsnt
>in cygwin the files show ^M characters at the end of every line.  If I
>check the file out using cygwin cvs, the file is fine in any editor I
>use.

Your repository is corrupt, basically.  You've committed DOS format
files using cygwin CVS...  this has written CR/LF pairs into the RCS
files, which checkout as CR/LF/LF on a Windows box.  There is no
simple way to recover from this.

Delete the affected RCS files and use either cygwin CVS *or* Windows
CVS.  Do not mix them as you take the risk of precisely what has
happened, happening.