[cvsnt] cvs & unicode

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg.lists at dewire.com
Tue Jun 1 09:56:00 BST 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 10.34, zhao wrote:
> I use cvsnt 2.0.41a on RedHat9 with language: english, chinese gb,
> japanese; the client is windows xp(ChineseGB and Japanese) and
> wincvs1.3b17.
>
> After I imported some files to the server, names of these files are
> ChineseGB or Japanese, I found the name of the new file created in
> CVSRepository is error(In X Windows, it show a message"invaliad unicode").
>
> How can I correct the error!

Not sure you can, other than converting the filenames. but then. The answer
I got previously was that cvsnt does not handle the characters in file names.

So my "theory" is that wincvs sent those file names in your windows native
coding (non-unicode) and your RH server just stored the byte sequence on disk.
RH uses unicode (UTF-8) which is a different encoding. Most non-ascii file
names in other encodings are simply invalid when looked at with UTF-8
goggles.

You get the same problem with Swedish, which is the reason I don't use UTF-8
yet since I need to be compatible with the native Windows encoding for
Swedish.

It's a problem that needs to be solved.

-- robin