[cvsnt] cvs release says all my files are modified

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Tue Jun 1 09:26:45 BST 2004

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org> writes:

> >I can repeat the problem with
> >
> >Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
> >Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41 (client/server)
> >
> The only way that a file will appear to be modified is if its
> datestamp is incorrect.  This can happen if you for example mix CVS
> versions (cygwin cvs doesn't have the timestamp fixes in it), or use a
> samba sandbox.  This will show up under WinCVS as all the files
> looking modified.

Hello Tony,

I'm sorry, but I used the above printed CVSNT versions for a fresh
checkout and release immediatly afterwards. I never had problems with
the DST bug and red files in WinCVS. Repository and Sandbox are both
on local NTFS partitions of the systems. No SAMBA involved!

I have a copy of Cygwin installed on the client PC, but configured the
PATH to have the Cygwin binaries at the end. And the above printed cvs
version output shows that I use CVSNT.

I can repeat:
cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41 (client/server)

cvs checkout -P -d cvstest test/cvstest (in directory D:\CVSWORK)
cvs server: Updating cvstest
U cvstest/Branchfile.txt
U cvstest/File.txt
U cvstest/Mergepoint.txt
U cvstest/Testfile.txt
U cvstest/test.txt
cvs server: Updating cvstest/subdir
U cvstest/subdir/subfile.txt

cvs release -d cvstest (in directory D:\CVSWORK\)
Question: Modified files
You have [6] altered files in this repository.
Are you sure you want to release (and delete) directory `cvstest':
Enter: Yes/No

As you see all 6 files are shown as modified by cvs release. WinCVS
shows all in white like normal...

But this is really a minor problem - thanks for all your great work!

O. Koltermann