[cvsnt] Lockserver failing because of socket-limit reached

Friedrich Niederreiter friedrichniederreiter at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 07:36:35 BST 2004

Hi,

after changing MaxUserPort to 10000 the Lockserver
still failed sometimes. I changed the MaxUserPort to
65000 and havent seen any problems since. For some
reasons, the output of 'netstat -an' did *NOT* show
10000 TIME_WAIT ports being used by the LockServer (it
only showed about 100 lines). Additionally, since we
only have about 5500 files under CVSNT control in the
respective repository, I wonder why the LockServer
failed with MaxUserPort=10000. In any case, still a
mysterious situation.

We found some other TCIP registry entries that might
have some influence (but we did not test):
TcpNumConnections, defaults to 65534
TcpTimedWaitDelay, defaults to 240 (=4 Minutes)

Any comments are welcome.

For the repository having the Lockserver problems we
had set LockServer=none in the config file. I see that
the file-based-locking is deprecated. Are there any
plans to take this away some day? When? I would love
to keep file-based-locking as a last ressort :-)

Thanks

Friedrich Niederreiter