[cvsnt] Commit script can't run cvs log

Pat Galea wlist at dudegalea.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 11:43:20 BST 2004

Hi.

I'm trying to stop people being able to commit based on the state of the
latest revision. (By 'state', I mean the attribute that is set with 'cvs
admin -s<state>'.)

I tried to write a pre-commit script that calls 'cvs log' to extract the
relevant data, but it doesn't work. I get the following error:

cvs log: [11:39:26] waiting for Unknown User's lock in C:/CVS/Repo/Code/A12

At this point, there is indeed another cvs.exe process running. My guess
is that because the pre-commit script is called *after* the commit
comment is entered, cvs has already locked the file.

As evidence of this, if I comment out the line in my pre-commit script
that calls 'cvs log', then there's no locking problem.

Further info:
cvsnt version 2.0.41a.
Local repository (on my C: drive).
Connecting with sspi.
Win2k.

I've written a similar script to restrict tagging operations. That one
calls 'cvs log' too, and it works fine with no locking problems at all.

Any ideas or suggestions, anyone?

Many thanks,
Pat Galea