[cvsnt] Re: edit/commit/unedit problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jun 4 15:39:41 BST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:19:41 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm having a problem with the edit/commit/unedit sequence (and possibly the
>edit/update/unedit sequence). Quite often (but it seems not always) the
>following happens:
>
>- I do an edit on a file
>- I modify it and commit it (or I don't modify it, but an update modifies
>it)
>- On a subsequent unedit I get the message that the file has been modified
>and it asks me whether I want to revert.
>
>If I revert, it gets reverted to a previous revision and I need to update
>the file to get the HEAD revision (that I committed immediately before the
>unedit, or that I already got through the update preceding the unedit). If
>I don't revert, the file doesn't get unedited (at least not in the
>sandbox).

If an update modifies it this is correct - you have done an 'edit' on
a particular revision of a file, and you no longer have that file in
your sandbox, meaning someone else has committed a revision during
your edit.   You have 3 choices - 1. don't unedit, 2. unedit and keep
the revision you started with (then commit it), 3. unedit and keep the
new revision.

If you're using edit in this way you should make sure that everyone
else is also using edit, otherwise it won't work.  Otherwise just
don't bother with edit as it's not giving you any advantage.

commit will automatically unedit (actually it removes the base
revision - not sure how that achieves unedit myself but it's always
worked like that so I assume it works).