[cvsnt] problem using cvs chown

Rajendra Divecha rajdivecha at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 12:31:42 BST 2004

cvs chown does work

I have installed CVSNT 2.0.41 on Win2K (SP4)
and WinCVS 1.3.17.2 Beta 17 (Build 2) on Win2KP

I am using pserver protocol
SystemAuth=no
Impersonation disabled.

On the CVSNT server machine I have two foilders
D:\CVSRepositories & D:\CVSTemp
the repository is D:\CVSRepositories\Projects

Everyone & System, have full control over both these folders.

D:\CVSRepositories\Projects\CVSROOT
has passwd, admin & group files
passwd has an entry for user 'Admin' like
Admin:<password>  (yes, I don't want to use alias)
other users.....

The admin file has one line for user 'Admin'

So from the client machine I login as user Admin

Almost every thing is working fine ... BUT

When I try to use cvs chown <A User> on a checked out module
it gives me the following error...

cvs server: Changing owner of . to <A User>
cvs server: cannot open D:/CVSRepositories/Projects/<Module>/./.owner for
writing: Permission denied

I tried the same on the CVSNT server machine, logged in as Administrator,
checked out the Module using local protocol, and executed cvs chown on the
same.

but got the following error message...

cvs chown: 'Administrator' does not own .

Then, I tried with the pserer protocol also (checked out the module as user
Admin) but got the same message as in if I try it from some client machine.

I can manually edit the .owner file, but not through the cvs chown command.
I do not know if such a bug exists or I am making any mistakes.

Can anybody also tell me abt what exactly is the security risk we would face
while using pserver protocol ?

Does sserver, in simple words, mean pserver but the one which is secure ?

And if one wants to use SSH but does not want to use any domain users, only
passwd, i.e., CVS, users, then how can one go abt it ? or this kind of
settup is not possible.

Regards,

Rajendra Divecha