[cvsnt] Re: edit/commit/unedit problem - multiple sandboxes (was: edit/commit/unedit problem)

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jun 7 01:08:11 BST 2004

This issue is splitting up into three different ones, so I split my
answers, too. This here is about multiple sandboxes.

On 6/5/04 20:23:06, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> I may add that I'm using the same login from different sandboxes on
>> different systems. Does that make a difference? It seems so:
>
> Yes, because edits are (mostly) local to the sandbox.  You're going to
> get into trouble trying to do two edits at the same time on a file.

The odd thing is that the server has the complete information about the
sandbox, and it even returns it on a subsequent edit -- but it seems it
doesn't use it. Really strange is the following sequence:

e:\projects\zother\test>cvs edit
test.txt        gfiedler        Sun Jun  6 23:23:57 2004 GMT    GEDESK
E:\Projects\zOther\Test

e:\projects\zother\test>cvs editors
test.txt        gfiedler        Sun Jun  6 23:24:45 2004 GMT    GeDell2
E:\Projects\zOther\Test

The first edit command shows me that the file is being edited by me on
GEDESK, but after the command, this information is gone and the only one
that's left is that it is now being edited by me on GeDell2.

Wouldn't it be more logical, since the complete sandbox information is
already there, to consider edits/unedits per sandbox on the server (instead
of per user)? That is, an edit command that comes from the same user but
not from the same sandbox gets added to the list in CVS/fileattr on the
server, and an unedit command only removes the entry in CVS/fileattr that
came from the same sandbox.

How are other people doing this when working with different sandboxes?

(While I'm at it, I would like edit/unedit to work by branch, too. It
doesn't make much sense to lock a file on all branches just because
somebody works on one of them. But I guess that's just dreaming :)

>> It seems as if a part of the cvs edit functionality is handled on the
>> server on a per user basis, and another part of it is handled on the client
>> on a per sandbox basis, and thus using multiple sandboxes messes up this
>> logic between server and client. This would kind of make it impossible or
>> at least funky to correctly use multiple sandboxes -- which I have done so
>> far, and which is quite useful in many circumstances.
>
> It's always been like that - the edit/notify system is a bit strange and
> doesn't work like the rest of CVS.  edit -c/commit -c helps as it
> enforces one edit per file which is mostly what's required.

I've never used commit -c. I guess that's a useful addition to my .cvsrc
file. I can't place edit -c there, because often concurrent edits are
necessary. This is handled nicely by Tortoise, which automatically runs an
update/edit -c sequence on -kb files when doing an edit through the GUI.

Thanks,
Gerhard