[cvsnt] Re: edit/commit/unedit problem - update/unedit (was: edit/commit/unedit problem)

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jun 7 01:08:45 BST 2004

This issue is splitting up into three different ones, so I split my
answers, too. This answer is about update and a subsequent unedit.

On 6/5/04 20:23:06, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
>> - I cvs edit a file (but don't modify it).
>> - I cvs update it and the file gets updated by cvs and marked read-only.
>> - I then cvs unedit the file and cvs tells me that the file has been
>> modified and asks me whether I want to revert the changes.
>>
>> The strange thing is here that the file has been modified by cvs itself,
>> and only by cvs. Shouldn't cvs remember that, and know that the current
>> version in the sandbox is the unmodified (and at this point not even cvs
>> edited) version straight from the server?
>
> For there to be a new version it means someone else has modified the
> file.  You have edited a version of the file, and now have a different
> version - you can only unedit (rollback) to the version you have edited.

Let's say I don't want to roll back but rather continue with the new
revision (which is the normal thing if I didn't actually modify the file).
What is the standard way to do this?

If I answer "no" to the cvs unedit prompt, the file doesn't get unedited
and cvs will ask me forever whether I want to roll back. I see only two
methods (and both seem to me like a hack): either I answer "no" to the
prompt, cvs edit the file again (even thought it is still "edited") and
then cvs unedit it, or I answer "yes" to the prompt and then cvs update it
again (to the revision that was already in the sandbox before the "yes"
answer).

>> I don't think this makes sense for any situation. Why revert to an outdated
>> revision?
>
> Because that's the version you originally edited.

Well, maybe we have to agree to disagree here. I think if I have a
directory edited, only some files modified, one of the unmodified files
gets updated by cvs (and not merged, because it hasn't been modified by me)
-- then I would want an unedit to simply recognize that I didn't modify the
file and unedit to the latest revision to which cvs updated the file (which
is already there in the sandbox, from the last update, still unmodified). I
think that's the obvious and intuitive way.

Thanks,
Gerhard