[cvsnt] is there a problem if I move files from one folder to the other in the repository

Aditya Gandhi agandhi at sapient.com
Wed Jun 9 15:16:58 BST 2004

Hi all,
We on our project are re-organizing the way we store data and as part of
that I need to move an existing folder to a different location.

Say for example right now I have a folder named A in the repository
which has a lot of subfolders and files
Eg.
|-----A1
|      |------A11
|      |------A12

|-----A2
|-----A3

I am planning to create a new directory structure where I will be moving
the complete folder A into a new folder called X as shown below
Say
	|----------A
	|	     |-----A1
	|	     |      |------A11
  	|	     |      |------A12
	|	     |
	|	     |-----A2
	|	     |-----A3
	|----------B
	|----------C
etc.

My question is how can I go about doing this without disturbing the
history.

As per my understanding simply creating the new folder X using a CVS
client and then copying the folder A on the repository (server) from
/rep_root/A to /rep_root/X/A will work.

I just want a confirmation on whether tags/ branches/ dates or anything
else will be a problem after the move. I will be bringing down the
repository for this time period and obviously will ask everybody to do a
fresh checkout after the move is complete.

Note: I do not have any customized admin files.

Looking forward to your response.
Regards
Aditya