[cvsnt] Re: cvs export -r 1.7 does not work anymore....

Kim Hansen kha at mita-teknik.com
Thu Jun 10 13:45:21 BST 2004

>><Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote:

>>Why has CVSNT been changed to not accept revision numbers as -r parameter values
>>all of a sudden, and from which version of the server did this happen.

>Tony wrote:
>CVS has never accepted revision numbers for export.  It just doesn't
>make any sense to do so - this isn't a CVSNT change.

We are using cvs export -r with revision numbers all the time using cvsnt version 1.11.1.4
in apparent contradiction to the statement that cvsnt has never accepted that.

Snippet from batch file executed by us, whenever we rebuild one of our projects. I do not think the extra args influence the -r operation:
echo Exporting Jacarta DBCP library...
cvs -q checkout -p -r 1.1 Mitatools/Jakarta/commons-dbcp-1.1/lib/commons-dbcp-1.1.jar > %project_home%\java\lib\commons-dbcp-1.1.jar
echo Exporting Jacarta pool library...
cvs -q checkout -p -r 1.1 Mitatools/Jakarta/commons-pool-1.1/lib/commons-pool-1.1.jar > %project_home%\java\lib\commons-pool-1.1.jar

I agree that using symbolic tags in -r is the "cleanest" procedure. However, to state that it just doesn't make sense
to use the "raw" revision numbers is not entirely correct in my opinion - at least when exporting individual files.

Kim