[cvsnt] Re: Enforcing Reserved Edits

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jun 11 16:54:48 BST 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:39:22 +0100, "Harrison, Andrew"
<andy.harrison at anite.com> wrote:

>Last month there was some discussion on the dev list about enforcing
>reserved edits on a file by file basis (cvs admin -kc). Did this ever get
>anywhere, and is it likely to get into the 2.0.x builds?

It's in the unstable builds already... not sure how long it'll take
for another stable release at this point though.

>I was going to just make people use commit -c, but having tried it out I
>have a couple of problems. Firstly it's easy for people to forget to put the
>-c, so it commits anyway, and secondly they can just do an (not reserved)
>edit anyway. In fact the only thing the reserved edit seems to stop anyone
>else doing is another reserved edit.

If you put the commit -c in the server side .cvsrc then it forces
everyone to use commit -c.  The same with edit -c.  Of course this
removes concurrency on the entire repository which is an undesirable
side-effect.

>Will the proposed admin -kc help with this, or is there some other way of
>doing it?

It'll force commit -c for specific files which is useful for
individual files (you can also put it in cvswrappers, etc.).